The American Association of Orthodontists set up a series of videos to educate the public about braces: “My Smile, The Best Decision I Ever Made!”
They are fun to watch and have a lot of great information on different topics ranging from “Adult Orthodontics”, “Wish I had Braces on sooner”, “Common Bite Problems”, to “Orthodontics Today”.
Mendieta Orthodontics uploaded a few videos for you on our youtube feed:
Global Smiles feed, scroll down to what you want to watch, “BestDecision.mov” for example. We hope you find them informative!
Orthodontists receive more formal education than dentists to specialize in straightening teeth. Like dentists, orthodontists graduate from dental school. Then, to be an orthodontist, it takes an additional two to three academic years of education in an accredited orthodontic residency program. Orthodontists are dentistry’s specialists in straightening teeth and aligning jaws to create optimal function and form.
Thanks for watching!
Smile bright this Valentine's day
When 83% of people surveyed believe teeth are more important traits than hair and eyes AND that the smile is the facial feature 50% of people notice first (AAP Survey) your Valentine’s day tip begins with your smile:)
With so much emphasis on your smile, lets go through a simple check list you can do for yourself and your Valentine to make it the best!
If you have a crooked tooth or a noticeable space in between your teeth, visit your orthodontist to get them straightened. You can have your choice of treatment from Invisalign, ceramic, or traditional braces. Your smile may not be ready overnight but it will make a world of difference in your confidence for the rest of your life!
Brush your teeth! Bad breath or halitosis is what 32% of Americans cite as the least attractive trait of their co-workers. Bad breath can cause others to avoid you. If your friends and co-workers have to take a step back or often hold their breath when you speak to them, its time to take out that soft bristled tooth brush and mouthwash! Do this at least 3 times a day or after every meal. Flossing once a day will keep food out from in between your teeth. Click for an instructional video at the bottom of Mendieta Orthodontics website.
Those of you who smoke should know tobacco causes bad breath and stains your teeth. This leads us to our next tip. If you smoke, drink coffee, or tea chances are you could use some whitening. There are lots of different ways to go about it. Since Valentine’s day is so close, you may not be able to see your dentist for a whitening appointment. Try the over the counter (OTC) whitening gels which call for two applications per day and can take up to 14 days to achieve optimal results. Generally, the best whitening you can get is from your dentist who can use a higher concentration of the gel in combination with whitening trays. The results can be dramatic even after one sitting. A word of caution, with either OTC or in-office whitening, tooth sensitivity after or during the procedure can occur.
Straight, white teeth, and fresh breath is sure to give you a spring of confidence so Cupid can work his magic this Valentine’s day for you and your sweetheart. Have fun out there!
Keeping your teeth/braces clean does not stop even when you are on vacation. Whether it’s to another state or overseas, here is what you should do and remember to take.
Tooth bugs never sleep, even when on vacation
1. Have fun on your vacation! That’s the most important part. Make sure you bring lots of fun pics back to show your orthodontist. Dr. Mendieta loves it when patients show him your neat photos!
2. Tell your orthodontist of your travel plans so they can make arrangements for your next appointment when you return. Certain procedures like debonding need to be scheduled at shorter intervals.
3. Add the office email and phone number to your contacts, just in case you have an emergency.
4. Take extra wax, in case some pinching/poking occurs.
5. Take a travel kit with a small tube of paste, mouth wash, floss, and a tooth brush case. Remember, airports will not allow large size liquid containers as carry-on items. In the odd chance you get a free meal on a domestic flight, you are prepared to brush:)
6. If a bracket falls off make sure you email or call your orthodontist right away! Dr. Mendieta gives his patients advice when they call.
7. Take Advil with you in case your teeth start to hurt or bother you!
8. Don’t forget your rubber bands, it’s a long flight and a good time to wear them!
We hope this is helpful. If you dig it, like us on facebook!
9. Have fun and remember to be at your next appointment when you arrive back home ready to show Dr. Mendieta your pictures:)